PLEASE READ OUR FAQs & TERMS THOROUGHLY
BEFORE RESERVING YOUR SPACE
HOW MUCH IS A PLACE ON A PAINTING RETREAT?
• The cost is £2,950 per person.
WHERE DO I STAY?
• The ten attendees stay together in a lovely big wooden house, right next to Long Beach on the shores of Loch Nevis.
• As there are no hotels in Knoydart we are hiring one of the biggest houses. It has five large twin ensuite bedrooms so that does mean that everyone will be sharing a room.
• The house has a huge open plan kitchen / dining / sitting room with a double height ceiling and wooden beams throughout.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
• Seven days and six nights on the magically remote peninsula of Knoydart, Scotland.
• Daily inspirational masterclasses with ELLIS O'CONNOR as your Painting in Residence.
• Excursions into the wilderness to paint, breathe, be inspired.
• Breakfast, lunch and dinners are all home-cooked by Janey using locally sourced ingredients.
• The return boat fares to and from Inverie on the Knoydart peninsula.
• Complimentary vehicles.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
• Your travel to and from Mallaig.
• Alcoholic drinks.
• You are responsible for your own travel and equipment insurance.
• Any further travel and hotel costs incurred from delays or cancellation by public transport services, including boats, due to weather conditions or general disruption.
DO I NEED TO BE AN EXPERIENCED PAINTER?
No, you can be a painter at any level, we just ask you to bring an open and creative mind and Ellis will help you with the rest!
WHAT ART MATERIALS DO YOU PROVIDE?
Painting boards with handle
Bulldog clips for holding paper onto the board
Acrylic paints - yellow ochre / ultramarine blue/ titanium white / primary red / permanent green light / mars black / deep magenta / burnt sienna
A4 landscape sketchbook
Black Indian ink bottle (300ml)
WHAT ART MATERIALS SHOULD I BRING?
Watercolour set (Ellis will recommend specific colours)
Brushes (Ellis will recommend types and sizes)
Watercolour paper pad 300mg
Collapsible water container
Sticks of charcoal of different sizes – willow charcoal and compressed charcoal
Set of soft pastes
Foldable seating cushion for working outdoors
WHAT CLOTHING SHOULD I PACK?
Even though the retreat is in August, Scotland is known for having four seasons in one day so please pack accordingly.
Also sun cream, midge and tick repellent are a necessity.
WHEN DO I NEED TO ARRIVE / DEPART?
Everyone needs to arrive at the house the night before the first day, for the welcome meal, which means getting to Mallaig in time to catch the last boat to Inverie at 18:00.
In order to catch the 09:00 boat from Inverie to Mallaig on your departure day, you will be picked up at the house after breakfast at 07:30 and taken to the pier.
WHERE IS KNOYDART?
Knoydart is a peninsula located on the west coast of Scotland - opposite the southern tip of the Isle of Skye. It is home to around 110 residents – Janey being one of them!
The only way to get to Knoydart is by boat from Mallaig (unless you choose to hike the two-day, 17-mile walk across rough terrain!)
The house you stay in is in Inverie, which is the main village on the Knoydart peninsula.
HOW DO I GET THERE?
You should factor into your schedule that it could take you about one day to get to Inverie.
If you have any questions on travel, timetables and logistics just call us. We're here to help!
• If you are coming in by car then drive to Mallaig (head for Mallaig Station PH41 4QA).
You will have to leave your vehicle in Mallaig for the duration of the retreat, but parking is free on East Bay.
• If you are travelling by train, we suggest you pick up the train from Glasgow Queen Street and catch the direct train to Mallaig via Fort William. This train takes about 5 and a half hours but the views through the window are stunning. It is listed as one of the top 10 train journeys in the world so you can just sit back and relax!
• If you are flying to Scotland then you can either fly into Glasgow or Inverness airports.
We will meet you at either the pier or Mallaig train station and escort you to the boat - which is only a 2-minute walk away!
If you have any questions at all about your travel plans please do get in touch as we are happy to help you.
ARE THERE ANY SHOPS IN KNOYDART?
Yes, there is a small community-owned shop in the village of Inverie that offers a small selection of produce and souvenirs. It is also the local Post Office.
IS THERE A PUB?
There's the community-owned pub called The Old Forge that proudly wears the badge of Britain's most remote pub!
We will definitely take you down there for some live music, a pint of the locally brewed beer and a meal one night.
NOTE: THE SCOTTISH WEATHER COULD AFFECT YOUR TRAVEL PLANS
The Scottish weather is notoriously unpredictable and ferociously changeable, which means the connecting boats between Mallaig and Inverie may not sail.
If, on the day of your arrival in Mallaig, your public transport has been delayed or your boat has been cancelled, then you are responsible for covering the costs of your accommodation and food in Mallaig. We will work with you to find suitable accommodation at a discounted rate.
If, on the day of your departure from Inverie, the boat has been cancelled, then you are responsible for covering the costs of your accommodation and food in Inverie. We will work with you to find suitable accommodation at a discounted rate.
We heartily recommend that your travel plans include flexible tickets as we cannot be held responsible for additional costs due to delays or cancelations.
HOW TO CONFIRM YOUR SPACE
• First of all you need to RESERVE YOUR SPACE via the booking form on Wild At Art's website - the link is also on our website - HERE
• Ute Amann-Seidel, Director of Wild at Art Ltd, will contact you and share your details with Janey de Nordwall, Director of The Knoydart Retreat Ltd. who will then get in touch with you to complete the process.
HOW AND WHEN TO PAY
• Your place is not confirmed until your deposit of £750 has been paid.
• Janey will provide an invoice.
• We accept all currency.
• Your final payment must clear our bank 60 days prior to the date of your retreat.
• If, however, you are booking within 30 days of the first day of the retreat then full payment will be required.
We are not able to accept payment by credit card.
OUR CANCELLATION POLICY
Cancellations must be received my email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Depending on when you cancel, we have three policies:-
1) Cancellation received 60 days or more before the first day of your retreat:-
Your deposit and any payments made to The Knoydart Retreat will be refunded.
There will be an admin fee of £50.
2) Cancellation received 31 - 59 days before the first day of your retreat:-
Your deposit and 50% of your payments made to The Knoydart Retreat will be refunded.
There will be an admin fee of £50.
3) Cancellation received within 30 days of the first day of the retreat:-
a) your deposit will be held by The Knoydart Retreat
b) no further refund will be payable.
APPROVAL FOR USE OF YOUR IMAGE
By attending the workshop you agree to give The Knoydart Retreat Ltd, Wild at Art and Ellis O'Connor permission to use the images we take of you during the workshop on our websites and social media channels.
We always take behind the scenes photos and videos so if you choose NOT to be included in these images then please let Janey know by email prior to the workshop commencing by emailing email@example.com and we will make sure your image is never used.
ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS?
Please do get in touch with Janey. I'm here to help!
+44 (0)7979 968900 | firstname.lastname@example.org